I have 86k on my 2009 Smart and the dealer is starting to say my transmission seals on both sides are starting to leak and the oil pan seal are starting to seep.   

Is this a common issue with Smarts or is my dealer trying to make $500+ off me?

They are monitoring it, but I wanted to see if anyone else had heard of it.   I thought it was off for seals to be leaking this early...

Thoughts?

Tags: leaks, transmission

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's common for any vehicle with axle shafts coming out of a transmission.  Happens to virtually all makes and all models. 

I have 51K on my 2008, took it in yesterday for yearly work, and when I got it home today found a BIG puddle of oil on my garage floor.  Called dealer and he said it was a common problem?!?!?!  And yes quoting $600 to fix.  If I am reading correctly, you are the only one who posted this problem, so how common can it be?

The "leaks" at the axle seals are really more like seeps - if there's a big puddle then something is wrong, and coming immediately after a service I'm inclined to think whoever did the work is the culprit.

Linda Nicholson said:

I have 51K on my 2008, took it in yesterday for yearly work, and when I got it home today found a BIG puddle of oil on my garage floor.  Called dealer and he said it was a common problem?!?!?!  And yes quoting $600 to fix.  If I am reading correctly, you are the only one who posted this problem, so how common can it be?

I think they should fix it at no cost since they messed it up they should honor the work they did on the car if not see a lawyer and bring them the paper work also go to the head of the dealership with it and they should repair there work if they are not honest also the tv network is another choose to make I would if they damaged my smart I would film it and it would be all over the place i would be very upset if someone hurt seasparkle and they would make it right.

Hi Brad,

I had a similar problem with my 2008. I went in for regular service and was told I needed a new oil pan because the plug had been stripped during the last oil change and I was leaking oil. I had to pay $600 for the pan as I had gone to a different dealership. The first MB dealership gave me the next 2 service appointments for free to make up for it.

A friend of mine who has a 2008 was told at his first oil change to replace the plug to avoid future problems.

Hope you sent the bill along to the place that stripped out the plug - they should pay.

Kim Lersch said:

Hi Brad,

I had a similar problem with my 2008. I went in for regular service and was told I needed a new oil pan because the plug had been stripped during the last oil change and I was leaking oil. I had to pay $600 for the pan as I had gone to a different dealership. The first MB dealership gave me the next 2 service appointments for free to make up for it.

A friend of mine who has a 2008 was told at his first oil change to replace the plug to avoid future problems.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service