Has anyone else encountered verbal and/or written hatred towards them and their smart fortwo? I have recently encountered this in the past 8 months, and it has always been centered around parking. I've been getting rotten notes left on my car and verbally hateful words tossed at me when I park in tight places. I've harmed no one, I've never blocked anyone in, I am just minding my own business and taking advantage of my terrific city parking ability, but it seems to elicit anger in some people, three times in eight months. I even had to call the police once to try and get someone under control. What gives?

 

 

 

Tags: Chicago

Views: 693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never have.... but I like taking up 1/2 a parking space.

Sorry to hear that.  There are people that just don't get the smart and never will.  Best to just ignore them IMHO.
I guess where you live they don't take kindly to smart people..... just enjoy the car and do try to teach others not to be afraid of your car just because it does not fit the mold they are used to.
Sorry to hear that you have had that response.  Mine is about 97% positive with a rare few otherwise.  We're with you on this.
I have had no ill-tempered comments either.   When I angle or vertical park, I use the rear half of a normal spot.   This makes the back end of my Smart car visible to others looking for a parking spot and will hopefully keep someone from zooming into my parking spot and rear ending my car.   So far, no complaints from anyone and it's potentially guarded against parking collisions ..... and prevented ill temperedness.
Such constant hostility is only to be expected when you choose to live in Chicago...

David, its the same here in the San Francisco area. I am amazed how oversized SUV's or truck's can park in a compact spot without any complaint's. But if I easily fit between two bulging, non-compacts, watch out for the reaction. Some people don't take well to the unexpected, no matter how logical.

 

People are threatened by change.  Just take a step back and let them vent. Some day they will realize how foolish their actions are.
Scott, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. So frustrating!

Scott said:

David, its the same here in the San Francisco area. I am amazed how oversized SUV's or truck's can park in a compact spot without any complaint's. But if I easily fit between two bulging, non-compacts, watch out for the reaction. Some people don't take well to the unexpected, no matter how logical.

 

Verbal and/or written hatred I can deal with.  It's the physical hatred that makes me angry.  My smart has been vandalized 6 times.
So sorry to hear this. I didn't realize that some people could feel so threatened by a wonderful little automobile.

szmatrs said:
Verbal and/or written hatred I can deal with.  It's the physical hatred that makes me angry.  My smart has been vandalized 6 times.

Sounds like you've experience Hyde Park...
Robert Stout said:
Such constant hostility is only to be expected when you choose to live in Chicago...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos
  • View All

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service