Has anyone else encountered verbal and/or written hatred towards them and their smart fortwo? I have recently encountered this in the past 8 months, and it has always been centered around parking. I've been getting rotten notes left on my car and verbally hateful words tossed at me when I park in tight places. I've harmed no one, I've never blocked anyone in, I am just minding my own business and taking advantage of my terrific city parking ability, but it seems to elicit anger in some people, three times in eight months. I even had to call the police once to try and get someone under control. What gives?

Tags: Chicago

Views: 706

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've caught a lot of verbal crap here in Iowa, especially from he-man types that drive large pick-ups you need a ladder to get into. When I get one of these un-solicited comments I ask them this: "is that what you think?" and then pause and then say "I don't really care what you think". I usually give them my line before I get in the car to drive away. It's kind of hard to take when a majority of these pick-ups were bought and paid for with taxpayer money thanks to the never ending federal farm subsidies.
It is too bad that some people feel threatened by an automobile with some resorting to verbal harassment, nasty notes, and vandalism. I suppose that comes with the territory of being different, but a sad commentary about human behavior in the US. I've been told that I'm typically 10 years ahead of my time, so hopefully 8 more years will be the start of some better understanding. Stand strong, be happy, and enjoy!
Step outside the University of Chicago and you enter a war zone...  LOL
David said:

Sounds like you've experience Hyde Park...
Robert Stout said:
Such constant hostility is only to be expected when you choose to live in Chicago...
Mine has been vandalized once. Someone broken my windows. Scary some people don't get it. We are helping our country save on fuel.

szmatrs said:
Verbal and/or written hatred I can deal with.  It's the physical hatred that makes me angry.  My smart has been vandalized 6 times.
Mine has been vandalized once. Someone broken my windows. Scary some people don't get it. We are helping our country save on fuel.

szmatrs said:
Verbal and/or written hatred I can deal with.  It's the physical hatred that makes me angry.  My smart has been vandalized 6 times.

Wow! I have not seen this in the Seattle area. I mostly get people asking, 'Do you really like your car." which to me is a no brainer. I would not have my car if I did not love it.

in non parallel spots are you parking so your front or rear is where normal cars are at? I do that because I also don't want the "here's a spot, oh man what is that..smack" happen to my smartie. I even shared a spot with a scooter a while ago. It was quite funny! 

here in Texas, where cowboy cadillacs(Pickup trucks) are common, I get yelled at, flashed lights at, and many hand signals. I once had a guy actually change lanes as he and I came to a stop light so he could lecture me on which lane I could drive in. Long story short, I drive fast, am some what aggressive with the car, and we all know that is limited by size, and generally I run with the big dogs.  I don't take lectures well and usually ask a lot of questions and that fries people, and  tell people to change lanes and go even faster if you have a problem with my smart.
I too tend to drive briskly and take control of the space around me, much like I do when riding my motorcycle/scooter - they teach this in motorcycle training. I don't let anyone push me around in my smart. Mostly people are indifferent or curious, sometimes not.

PGroff said:
here in Texas, where cowboy cadillacs(Pickup trucks) are common, I get yelled at, flashed lights at, and many hand signals. I once had a guy actually change lanes as he and I came to a stop light so he could lecture me on which lane I could drive in. Long story short, I drive fast, am some what aggressive with the car, and we all know that is limited by size, and generally I run with the big dogs.  I don't take lectures well and usually ask a lot of questions and that fries people, and  tell people to change lanes and go even faster if you have a problem with my smart.

Most people are indifferent or curiously nice, but sometimes not. To quote a BMW-driving neighbor who did not like my street parking, "It's nice that you own that fancy little car that you can park in tight locations, but that doesn't mean that you should!". Ass....

Mel said:

Wow! I have not seen this in the Seattle area. I mostly get people asking, 'Do you really like your car." which to me is a no brainer. I would not have my car if I did not love it.

in non parallel spots are you parking so your front or rear is where normal cars are at? I do that because I also don't want the "here's a spot, oh man what is that..smack" happen to my smartie. I even shared a spot with a scooter a while ago. It was quite funny! 

i've never had a problem, i'll have had my smart 4 years, next january. i've been driving little 3 cylinder cars for over 20 years. the smart is the smallest, and the quickest. i tend to "walk tall" and don't take crap from anyone, but that's my lifestyle. my smart is loaded with bumper stickers, 3 prominent "NRA Endowment Life Member" decals probably don't hurt either. it could be a "beware of owner" thingy. i'm upgrading to NRA Patron Life this week, not that many know the difference...

Good for you James G! The hateful behavior is far outweighed by the nice comments on my car, and for the most part now, people seem indifferent which is fine with me. I'm chalking up the several incidences of meanness to the saying - what people don't understand, they fear - what people fear, they kill. How can anyone fear my 3 cylinder Peanut or me for driving it!? Interestingly, two of the nasty people were BMW owners taunting me about my "fancy car", and no, they weren't joking. They hated the fact that I parked it in front of their multimillion dollar homes. I'm in love with my little car - it has transformed my life for the better. Cheers.

I live in Houston and volunteer at Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo in March. The cowboys in the big trucks laugh and me and I challenge them to sit in my car. Then they shut up and cannot believe how big it is inside. I also tell them the black tridon cell is like a NASCAR roll cage and I'm not afraid to drive it. The big trucks often park over the lines and leave a very tiny spot. I back in, leave the front of my car by their back wheels so they can get in their doors and I can get in and out of mine just fine. I've had threats that they could pick it up. I tell them if they are drunk enough to try it -- go for it! I must say I have a lot of fun with it!

Oh, and I driver very aggressively, too!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service