Has anyone else encountered verbal and/or written hatred towards them and their smart fortwo? I have recently encountered this in the past 8 months, and it has always been centered around parking. I've been getting rotten notes left on my car and verbally hateful words tossed at me when I park in tight places. I've harmed no one, I've never blocked anyone in, I am just minding my own business and taking advantage of my terrific city parking ability, but it seems to elicit anger in some people, three times in eight months. I even had to call the police once to try and get someone under control. What gives?

Tags: Chicago

Views: 693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sadly, in this day and age of uncertainty (financial, employment, etc. etc), people have a LOT of pent-up anger in them, mostly over the helplessness they feel. So when they see something that they feel they can vent on safely (no matter the lack of rational thought behind it), they "take action" - preferably verbally, or by leaving a note (less confrontational), and go back and retell their "triumph" to their buddies. Sometimes, though, the person is a bit less civilized than really ought to be left alone, and they choose a more confrontational and threatening method.  Call the cops, when needed, otherwise, let them stew in their juices - they'll figure it out eventually, and maybe even feel badly (if they remember it), and count your blessings that your life is just that much easier, and your brain just that much sharper, that you don't feel the need to do something similar to someone else.

Words of wisdom Gary. Cheers. David

Gary Bryers said:

Sadly, in this day and age of uncertainty (financial, employment, etc. etc), people have a LOT of pent-up anger in them, mostly over the helplessness they feel. So when they see something that they feel they can vent on safely (no matter the lack of rational thought behind it), they "take action" - preferably verbally, or by leaving a note (less confrontational), and go back and retell their "triumph" to their buddies. Sometimes, though, the person is a bit less civilized than really ought to be left alone, and they choose a more confrontational and threatening method.  Call the cops, when needed, otherwise, let them stew in their juices - they'll figure it out eventually, and maybe even feel badly (if they remember it), and count your blessings that your life is just that much easier, and your brain just that much sharper, that you don't feel the need to do something similar to someone else.

I park against the side of the building where I work, along with a select number of people who really care about their cars. Namely, those who don't like door-dings. A couple at work owns identical Jeeps, and usually come in at the same time. One day, after all my waiting, they did it. They parked far enough apart that I could fit in between them if I backed in. I only stuck out about a half a foot, and they got a kick out of it when they got out before me. A number of other co-workers even took pictures.

The only time I've ever gotten Smart-hate was when someone turned left in an intersection I was stopped at. They stopped next to me just to say hi, compliment my car, and ask how I liked it. In those 15 seconds, a guy behind me started yelling something that included Smart and the F-Word. Excuse me for those 15 seconds! That's the only trouble I've ever had. Nothing but smiles, questions and compliments otherwise.

I work on unoin const sites, I have a supervisor role & don't need a p/u for tools right now, I get some strange looks & comments from the burly guys, but most people are positive & curious. Without knowing your story, I'd like to guess you just crossed paths with someone in a bad mood that would have harassed anyone that day. I don't care what others think of my car or clothes or anything, I'm too old to worry about that, I sought out a smart dealer (120 miles away) because I liked the smart & won't be ashamed because it's unique, if someone starts a fight over a parking spot, too bad for them, don't let idiots with no life bother you, there's plenty of room for a bat behind the seat.........as for vandalism, I've had 3 fords & a olds get it, who's to say the reason, vandals are cowards, because if they got caught they'd get clobbered, video cameras are cheap, catch them in the act?     

Never had any vandalism or harsh words, some dirty looks at gas stations though. Mostly from people within earshot that hear my conversation with another driver when I answer questions about mpg, parking, top speed, how much room inside and how much it cost.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service