I've been a long time racing fan, so naturally I'm attracted to my home state's own Watkins Glen International raceway. I got to hunting around for stuff to do with out Smarts up here in New England / NY / PA / CT / NJ / etc, and one thing really stood out to me.

What if we did a track meet at Watkins Glen? The 'Glen area also has a lot of camping possibilities to make a weekend out of it - some relaxing one day, a big 3-lap Watkins Glen run another day, and I'm sure we can find a number of things to do. At $25 a car, a 3-lap run around a famous road course seems like a heck of a unique experience at a great price!

(More info on that from The Glen website, here.)

I'll look around for places to stay in the immediate area - we could either camp or stay in hotels. It was suggested on SCOA that we coincide with a race weekend, but prices would be driven up and we likely wouldn’t get track time, so I have a plan.

My idea:

Drive to Watkins Glen and arrive on a Friday.

Explore the area and then gather for track time and meet&greet on a Saturday.

Do breakfast (maybe takeover a restaurant) and drive back on a Sunday.

This gives us 2 nights in a camp / hotel. I think it's a nice, cheap 3-day weekend, and it also doesn't interfere with 2 separate workweeks, so we can all go back to work on Monday!

The one thing I don't know about; a date. Should it happen this year or should it be 2013? It kind of looks like 2012 is already full of events. We should avoid August, because Nascar comes to around, and things get crazy. I’m thinking June / July.

Whadayathink? Suggestions? Opinions?

Tags: Event, Glen, NY, New, Northeast, Watkins, York

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a plan.  You can add this to the Events listing also.

Actually, I have a question about that. What should I do since I'm not settled on a date? Should I make an event with a date out in 2013, and change it if necessary? Just curious how I should go about that. I could just wait a couple weeks and make the event when I've decided, I suppose.

jwight said:

Yes, wait until the date is firmed up.

SkippyThorson said:

Actually, I have a question about that. What should I do since I'm not settled on a date? Should I make an event with a date out in 2013, and change it if necessary? Just curious how I should go about that. I could just wait a couple weeks and make the event when I've decided, I suppose.

jwight said:

I'm thinking mid-July, so I don't conflict with the other Smart events of this Summer.

Friday through Sunday, either:
July 13th - 15th
Or
July 20th - 22nd

Any opinions?

Skippy---

can I get in on this?  I would love to do laps at the Glen!

dave.

smart Alecs car club of the Lehigh Valley   (Pennsylvania)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

find a

smart center

go

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service